[vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Position Title: SEAS4C Malapascua Project Manager
Location: Malapascua Island, Daanbantayan, Philippines.
Closing date for applications: 30th April 2018
Contract duration: One Year (with a three month probation period). Possibilities for extension.
Start date: 1st June 2018.
Remuneration and benefits: Please see relevant section below[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]People and the Sea is a Filipino registered charity. We are a community-driven marine conservation organisation based in Malapascua island, Philippines. Our objective is to support local communities in identifying innovative ways to protect their marine environment whilst having a positive economic impact. Our SEAS4C Malapascua project has started in 2015 and is now expanding quickly.
SEAS4C Malapascua (Science, Education, Alternative Enterprise and Solid Waste Management for Conserving Malapascua) aims to link conservation initiatives with beneficial development outcomes in the grassroots level. The project’s objectives are to increase capacity and environmental sensitivity, enable participation and to introduce economically and ecologically viable alternatives in its three core areas –Solid Waste Management, Education and Enterprise, with the overall goal of improving quality of life while promoting sustainable resource management.
*Please visit our website and Facebook page for more information: www.peopleandthesea.org ; www.facebook.com/peopleandthesea/[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]The qualified applicant for the Project Manager position will be in charge of planning, directing and coordinating the implementation of the Project’s programs in, but not limited to, Solid Waste Management, Conservation Education and Enterprise Development. The PM is also in charge of ensuring that they are implemented within the framework of community development and are grounded on People and the Sea’s mission, principles and goals. Your role is that of a manager and a community facilitator, with strong focus on liaising, organizing and supervision of all elements of the project.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Responsibilities:
- Identify interventions and possible partnerships and projects with the local community and other stakeholder groups such as school, resorts etc. that can support the project’s conservation goals.
- Conduct socio-economic mapping, assessment and baseline survey to come up with family or community profiles as necessary
- Produce monthly, annual reports, project proposals, program framework documents as necessary
- Monitor and evaluate project impacts and development
- Participate in strategic action planning to steer direction of community projects
- Supervise the implementation of the programs under Solid Waste Management
Promote composting in community and the business sector through networking and local presentations
Ensure that monthly compost monitoring targets are met
Provide leadership during Debris Free Thursday activity and other beach clean-ups
Coordinate with SWM Head to improve SWM practices in partner schools
Implement pilot project on trash collection process in the island. Liaise with Malapascua Business Association as needed
- Supervise the implementation of programs under Conservation Education
Over-see the structured training of People and the Sea Highschool interns in line with the organization’s thrusts
Deliver weekly lesson in partner schools as part of the Environmental Education program in the elementary curriculum.
Organize related activities under School program such as snorkelling, movie watching, beach clean-ups
Organize participation of expedition volunteers to activities related to school program
Organize other education and awareness-building activities in the community
Organize People and the Sea Summer Camps
- Supervise the implementation of programs under Alternative Enterprise; This currently includes the Homestay Program, but should include the identification and development of other alternative entreprise opportunities.
Plan and provide capacity-building interventions and trainings and other activities to support the development of the Homestay Program
Facilitate monthly meetings of the Homestay Program and coordinate provision of Seed Fund and other Homestay Program services
Ensure volunteer integration into the Homestays and that pre-set monthly activities are conducted
Establish coordination, networking and partnership with other institutions for Homestay members to access related services such as livelihood, capacity-building trainings, health and safety, education, and financial literacy
Facilitate the registration / accreditation of the Homestay group in DOLE, DOT
- Ensures comprehensive documentation of all work activities and the orderly filing of project documents storage and retrieval
- Help plan and execute other weekly and monthly deliverables or other admin work as designated by the Executive Director
- Help maintain positive, collaborative relationship with different stakeholders in the island such as business sector, LGU, barangay officials, People’s Organizations and other interest groups
- Identify opportunities for People and the Sea to network and promote People and the Sea in social media and other circles
- Site related tasks
Ensure that People and the Sea site rules are respected and adhered to by everyone on the site (both staff and volunteers).
Support the People and the Sea team on site with the day-to-day running of the wider project
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Conservation, Environmental Science, Social Science, Natural Resource Management, Development or any related field
- 3 years minimum experience in project management. This should include proven experience in project design and development and a solid familiarity with principles of monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in implementing integrated conservation and development projects and understanding of the conditions that lead to ecological and social success
- Proven experience of successful community organisation and mobilisation
- Experience in developing enterprises and livelihoods for communities
- Excellent English communication and writing skills (Visayan speakers will be given preference)
- Can work in multi-cultural, multi-lingual environment
- Ability to work flexible hours, dependent on work requirements
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including negotiation, conflict resolution and presentation skills
- Ability to work under pressure, organise your time efficiently, and meet tight deadlines.
- Previous experience in marine conservation projects with NGOs, government agencies
- Preferably with experience in supervising and managing staff
- Spoken Visaya
- Teaching Experience
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Remuneration & Benefits
Salary: Monthly salary of 12,000 – 20,000 Philippine Pesos (Dependent on Experience/Qualifications)
All meals provided (except on days off)
- Free dive training (up to the level of PADI Divemaster, certain specialities also available)
- Opportunities to conduct own research initiatives in-line with broader People and the Sea objectives.
- Valuable project and team management experience.
- The opportunity to contribute to real conservation goals.
- Attendance at a variety of training seminars, symposiums and technical committees.
- Work alongside a local community, helping them to realise the goal of sustainable resource management.
If you wish to apply for this vacancy please send your CV and a cover letter to: [email protected]. Please state in the subject line “Application: SEAS4C Malapascua Project Manager”.
Please indicate the following in your covering letter:
- Earliest possible start date
- What particularly interests you about this job opening.
- How your personal/professional experience meets the requirements detailed in this posting.
Please note that applications will be reviewed upon receipt. This means that the interview process may begin before the application deadline has passed.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]