Location: Malapascua Island, Daanbantayan, Philippines.
Contract duration: minimum 12 months (with 2 month probationary period)
Start date: As soon as possible.
Remuneration and benefits: Please see relevant section below.
Application Closing Date: Ongoing
PLEASE NOTE: Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and the interview process may begin with short-listed candidates before the application deadline.
People and the Sea is a French registered charity. We are a community-driven marine conservation organisation operating in Malapascua, Philippines. Our objective is to support local communities in identifying innovative ways to protect their marine environment and have a positive economic impact.
We have developed a variety of community and conservation programs since our creation in 2015, and we are now in an exciting phase where operations in Malapascua/Daanbantayan need to be consolidated to allow a further expansion of our work.
*Please visit our Facebook page for more information: www.facebook.com/peopleandthesea/
Summary Job Description:
The Site Safety Officer plays a critical role in both the smooth running of operations on site, as well as in insuring that safety remains the top priority in the conduct of any activities – both above and below water. While the role does have a focus on diving activities, it is by no means the limit of the Site Safety Officers duties. As a qualified, in status and experienced diving instructor, the Site Safety Officer will also conduct all necessary recreational PADI dive courses to both staff and volunteers, ensuring that standards are upheld without exception.
Health and Safety
- Oversee all aspects of the health and safety of both staff and volunteers on site – this relates to both on land and in water activities.
- Perform regular audits of the People and the Sea safety protocols and evacuation procedures.
- Conduct regular emergency evacuation training scenarios.
- Provide first aid training where necessary.
- Manages, coordinates and supports all People and the Sea staff who are involved in diving operations of any nature.
- Should be seen as approachable in all situations, as well as confident in a leadership role.
- Manages on-site supplies and logistics of all diving related equipment and consumables (e.g. filters, o-rings, oil, fuel etc.)
- Oversees the use, maintenance and inventory of all project diving equipment and compressor.
- Conducts all PADI dive training of volunteers and staff (OW through to Divemaster), ensuring strict adherence to all required standards.
- Makes certain the dive operations are run in accordance to the People and the Sea Scuba Diving Policy.
- Supports the Lead Science Officer in the delivery of the People and the Sea Science Programme (once trained and where necessary)
Administration and Reporting
- Compiles diving reports and equipment inventory to the head office on a regular basis.
- Reports all achievements and potential issues to the head office.
- Ensures all required paperwork/documents are completed and filled accordingly.
- Represents People and the Sea’s interests at all times.
- Maintains strong relationships with all stakeholders – dive centres, boat operators, people organisations, school, etc.
- University degree (equivalent experience will be considered).
- ‘In status’ PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor and Emergency First Response Instructor. At least 50 diving certifications to date.
- Rescue/Emergency Management. First-hand experience of being involved with and/or managing real emergency situations (non-diving considered also).
- Ability to work under pressure.
- An understanding of basic SCUBA equipment maintenance – including regulators, BCDs, tanks and compressor
- Excellent organisational skills, and proven ability to manage a team of divers to achieve goals.
- Good physical condition.
- Proficient oral and written English.
- Excellent interpersonal and motivational skills.
- Living and working experience in a developing country.
- Experience of working on volunteer based projects.
- Oral and written French.
- Experience in the Philippines.
- Apeks/Aqualung qualified service technician.
Remuneration & Benefits:
- 20,000 PHP (in cash, each month)
- All food provided on site (except on days off)
- Full training in all our science protocols and survey procedures.
- Reef Check Eco-Diver certification.
- Opportunities to get involved with ongoing research initiatives.
- Kickstart a career in marine conservation.
- Valuable operational and team management experience.
- The opportunity to contribute to real conservation goals.
- Work alongside a local community, helping them to realise the goal of sustainable resource management.
If you wish to apply for this vacancy please send your CV and a cover letter to: [email protected]. Please state “Application: Site Safety Officer” in the subject line.
Please indicate the following in your covering letter:
- Earliest possible start date
- What particularly interests you about this job opening.
- How your personal/professional experience meets the requirements detailed in this posting.