The purpose of People and the Sea is to promote capacity building and community-based marine resources management as a way to alleviate poverty, increase the resilience of coastal communities and raise awareness about marine conservation.
We are dedicated to working alongside the local community of Malapascua towards a healthy and sustainable future, and in identifying innovative ways to protect their marine environment whilst having a positive economic impact.
- Educate through Research: we run expeditions to teach volunteers and local trainees excellent diving standards, educate them to the marine environment, and get their help in collecting underwater data.
- Increase community resilience: we work alongside the community to identify alternative sources of income, support sustainable fishing and the development and implementation of Disaster Risk Reduction programs.
- Support capacity building projects: we aim to use tools such as Integrated People Health and Environment (PHE) programs, social entrepreneurship, education, which have been shown to be successful tools against poverty alleviation and towards successful local management of environmental resources.
Our Principles of Action
- We believe that efforts in supporting coastal communities should be made with a long-term commitment to achieve real change.
- Involvement of the community is essential to implement successful projects.
- Our needs in human resources and hosting infrastructure should be met locally.
- We commit to share information with local and national organisations, local stakeholders and governmental authorities.
- We maintain rigorous monitoring and evaluation processes to measure and demonstrate our impact.