Position Title: Fisheries Liaison Officer
Location: Malapascua Island, Daanbantayan, Philippines.
Closing date for applications: Ongoing
Contract duration: Two year (with a three month probation period). Possibilities for extension.
Start date: As soon as possible.
Remuneration and benefits: Please see relevant section below
People and the Sea is a registered charity working to help coastal communities protect its marine resources. We
have been operating in Malapascua since August 2015, and have developed compelling community-based programs around (1) solid waste management, (2) conservation education and (3) enterprise development. These programs aim to build capacity within the local community of Malapascua and wider Municipality of Daanbantayan to allow an inclusive effort in achieving sustainable marine resources management.
To this date, fisherfolks remain excluded from the conservation and resources management scene, whilst they are amongst the most impacted by depleted marine resources. People and the Sea would therefore like to engage in a Fisheries Assessment program, facilitated by a ‘Fisheries Liaison Officer’.
Provide technical direction and support in all aspects of People and the Sea’s fisheries program
- Conduct baseline data gathering on fisherfolks
- Map current fisherfolk organisations (FO) in Malapascua and coastal barangays of Daanbantayan
- Present and disseminate information and data to the fisheries sector
- Lead public awareness and outreach campaign for the fisheries sector
Promote the benefits of long term marine resources management
- Promote respect of MPA boundaries
- Set up a science-based Fisheries Monitoring program to allow long term monitoring of change in fish catch (quantity, species)
- Liaise to institutionalize CRM initiatives within the local government unit network
- Build strategic awareness, advocacy and outreach campaign for conserving marine resources
Increase technical and organizational capacity of the fisherfolks associations
- Identify solutions to raised concerns and support the FO in implementation process.
- Assist the Executive Director/Project Manager in identifying alternative enterprises
Research and Grant Applications
- Liaise with and support People and the Sea Head Office in the preparation of funding proposals for on-site projects.
Coordination of site duties shared with all staff on site
- Ensure that People and the Sea site rules are respected and adhered to by everyone on the site.
- Support the People and the Sea team on site with the day-to-day running of the project
- Assist in the development of People and the Sea’s ongoing community programmes.
- Contribute to the development of People and the Sea’s social media community (e.g. FB posts, blogs)
- A university degree in conservation, natural resources management, fisheries or social science/development
- Experience in project development
- With 2-3 years of experience in community organizing in coastal communities (including training, organisational development, capacity building)
- Proven experience in coastal and fisheries resource management and projects, including planning, budgeting, sustainable financing strategies.
- Understanding of different participatory methods and tools in planning and designing more resilient marine resources management strategies.
- Good understanding of relevant laws, including Fisheries Code of the Philippines, LGU Code and other environmental regulations
- Spoken Visaya
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office software (e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Good communication skills – Proven track record of report writing in English
Remuneration & Benefits
Salary: Monthly salary of 20,000-25,000 Philippine Pesos (Dependent on Experience/Qualifications)
All meals provided (except on days off)
If you wish to apply for this vacancy please send your CV and a cover letter to: email@example.com. Please state in the subject line “Application: Fisheries Liaison Officer”.
Please indicate the following in your covering letter:
- Earliest possible start date
- What particularly interests you about this job opening.
- How your personal/professional experience meets the requirements detailed in this posting.
Please note that applications will be reviewed upon receipt. This means that the interview process will be ongoing and the position may be filled at any time.