Location: Malapascua Island, Daanbantayan, Philippines.
Contract duration: minimum 12 months
Start date: 15th August 2016
Remuneration and benefits:
Salary depending on experience.
Generous contribution made to travel expenses.
All food and accommodation provided on site.
All Visa costs provided for
People and the Sea is a French registered charity. We are a community-driven marine conservation organisation operating in Malapascua, Philippines. Our objective is to support local communities in identifying innovative ways to protect their marine environment and have a positive economic impact.
We are recruiting a new field scientist to oversee the delivery of our science programme to expedition volunteers as well as to further our ongoing research initiatives.
*Please visit our Facebook page for more information: www.facebook.com/peopleandthesea/
Summary Job Description:
The main responsibilities of the field scientist are to plan and coordinate the participation of all volunteers in People and the Sea’s marine conservation activities and research. The position involves the supervision of volunteers, the responsibility for collection and the analysis of data to achieve the research objectives of People and the Sea.
The field scientist is under the management and guidance of the Expedition Manager, and is directly contributing to the fulfilment of the conservation goals of the project.
Lead volunteer science training programme:
- Ensure the development and implementation of the expedition volunteer training programme.
- Prepare, update and present science lectures for volunteers.
- Develop innovative teaching methods to ensure volunteers achieve science training goals.
- Review and update rigorous volunteer testing process to ensure the validity and quality of the data collected.
- Oversee data recording.
- Keep up-to-date with scientific and research developments in marine conservation.
- Adapt and develop research methodologies to suit local environment.
- Conduct independently-led research on selected subjects in order to further scientific understanding.
- Schedule and lead field research and volunteer’s science training and data collection dives.
- Ensure the dive operations are run in accordance to the People and the Sea Scuba Diving Policy.
- Oversee the maintenance and inventory of scientific equipment.
Write up of results:
- Produce regular research updates
- Write and communicate research reports.
- Summarise the progression of projects and efforts realised.
- Where necessary, present research activities/results to reliant stakeholders.
Coordination of site duties shared with all staff on site:
- Ensure that People and the Sea site rules are respected and adhered to by everyone on the site.
- Support the People and the Sea team on site with the day-to-day running of the project.
- PADI Divemaster qualification (or equivalent).
- Experience in leading dives.
- Graduate level qualification in Marine Science, Biology or Ecology.
- Excellent oral and written English.
- Excellent interpersonal and motivational skills, and proven experience of working effectively as part of a dynamic team.
- Good physical condition.
- Spoken and written French.
- Understanding and experience of living and working in a developing country.
- Experience of field research on coral reefs and related habitats and species.
- Experience in database management.
- GIS software.
- Statistical analysis.
- Teaching experience.
If you wish to apply for this vacancy please send your CV and a cover letter to: [email protected]. Please state in the subject line “Application: Field Scientist”.