Location: Malapascua Island, Daanbantayan, Philippines.
Contract duration: minimum 12 months
Start date: 1st August 2016
Remuneration and benefits:
Salary depending on experience.
Contribution made to travel expenses.
All food and accommodation provided on site.
All Visa costs provided for.
People and the Sea is a French registered charity. We are a community-driven marine conservation organisation operating in Malapascua, Philippines. Our objective is to support local communities in identifying innovative ways to protect their marine environment and have a positive economic impact.
We began field operations in August 2015. We are now receiving a steady flow of volunteers and need an expedition manager dedicated to managing the site, staff and short term volunteers.
*Please visit our Facebook page for more information: www.facebook.com/peopleandthesea/
Summary Job Description:
The Expedition Manager assumes overall responsibility for all People and the Sea operations and activities on the island of Malapascua. It is a job for a dedicated, enthusiastic and motivated individual. The ability to manage a team of volunteers and staff and ensure the smooth running of site logistics are essential requirements. Beyond this, the broader role of the Expedition Manager is to work for the continued development of People and the Seas work by actively seeking out and developing new working partnerships and projects.
- Overall organisation & supervision of volunteer, staff and activities, including the scheduling of science, community and scuba diving programmes.
- Manage on-site finances, supplies and logistics.
- Oversee the use, maintenance and inventory of all project equipment and resources.
- Ensure the health & safety of everyone involved in the project.
- Manage & support all staff and interns ensuring all remain motivated and focused on the project goals.
- Should be seen as approachable in all situations, as well as confident in a leadership role.
- Manage all human resources activities on site: payment of wages, appraisals, recruitment, solving any issue as they arise.
- Conduct all dive training of volunteers and staff (OW + AOW at a minimum)
- Ensure the day-to-day running of dive logistics.
- Make certain the dive operations are run in accordance to the People and the Sea Scuba Diving Policy.
- Manage the daily scheduling of volunteers’ activities.
- Manage & support volunteers, ensuring all remain active and motivated.
- Represent People and the Sea’s interests.
- Supervise all ongoing community projects: Homestay Association, Solid Waste management, School program, Campatoc MPA.
- Maintain strong relationships with all community groups and associations.
- Always seek to develop new potential partnerships.
- Compile expedition reports and equipment inventory to the head office on a monthly basis.
- Ensure all required paperwork/documents are completed and filled accordingly.
- University degree (equivalent experience will be considered).
- PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor and Emergency First Response Instructor.
- Leadership skills and experience, showing the initiative required to develop innovative solutions to the diverse problems that can arise.
- Management experience and initiative to supervise a conservation and research programme, working with limited financial and logistical resources in a coastal environment.
- An understanding of the importance of networking and the development of collaborative partnerships in achieving project goals.
- Good physical condition.
- Excellent oral and written English.
- Excellent interpersonal and motivational skills.
- Living and working experience in a developing country.
- Experience of working with volunteers.
- Spoken Visayan.
- Oral and written French.
- Experience in the Philippines.
- Project management skills.
If you wish to apply for this vacancy please send your CV and a cover letter to: [email protected]. Please state “Application: Expedition Manager” in the subject line.