Pepsea Project Update, January-March 2018.

The front cover of the first People and the Sea project update, looking at all our marine conservation activities.

As we move into our third (!!) calendar year of operations, we can’t help but notice that we are getting busier than ever before. More volunteers, more projects, more diving and, best of all, more reasons to be proud of all we have achieved so far. From day one, we…

Continue reading

Carnaza Fish Survey, January 2017

Reoprt into fish survey carried out in Carnaza, Philippines.

On the 26th January 2018, we conducted a snorkeling fish survey within the Carnaza EcoPark bay, on Carnaza Island, Cebu. The survey was conducted by our Lead Science Officer, Lucy Harding, in which a 30 minute observational survey was conducted by snorkeling within the bay and recording all fish species/families…

Continue reading

Government, private sector vow to combat illegal fishing

Public/private partnership approach to marine conservation in the Philippines

Original Article can be found HERE VARIOUS stakeholders in Tañon Strait vowed to strengthen collaboration to combat illegal fishing and protect one of the country’s important fishing grounds in the Visayas. The Tañon Strait is an important fishing ground down south. About 288,000 small-scale fishers rely on the bounty of…

Continue reading

Solid Waste Management Practices on Malapascua 2017

Report that explains the current waste management practices on Malapascua in the Philippines

The 2017 census conducted by the Barangay health workers reported 4,867 local inhabitants and 946 households on Malapascua. The overall population of Malapascua (including western and non-local residents) is estimated to about 6,000 people. 65% of the population lives in the south of the island, with the remaining 35% living…

Continue reading

People and the Sea on ‘WeDemain’ news website

People and the Sea on the WeDemain website

Original Article can be found HERE. (Only available in French)   De Nouvelle-Zélande au Bhoutan, du Pacifique à l’Himalaya, le Wānanga Trek est un reportage solidaire mené par Anne-Sophie, étudiante en sciences politiques de 21 ans. Chaque mois, elle raconte ses aventures à We Demain. “Notre objectif est de soutenir…

Continue reading

Protection of our oceans must go hand-in-hand with the fight against climate change

Marine conservation in th eisland nation of Palau, an exmaple to follow

This article titled “Coral Triangle could be last bastion for planet’s beleaguered reefs” was written by Johnny Langenheim, for theguardian.com on Tuesday 15th December 2015 12.06 UTC Island nations have been among the first to recognize that our ocean is in trouble. Fish populations are diminishing, while sea levels are…

Continue reading

People and the Sea Activity Report 2016

The report detailing the marine conservation activities of People and the Sea in the Philippines in 2016

After establishing our base of operations in the Philippines in the latter half of 2015, the following year marked our first full year of activities. And it was a busy year. In keeping with our commtiment to share as widely as possible the work we have done and our associated…

Continue reading